The role of the ESRC Council is to decide on all issues of major importance, principally issues of corporate strategy, key strategic objectives and targets. Responsibility for delivering key strategy is delegated to the Chief Executive, Professor Paul Boyle .
The Council Chair, Dr Alan Gillespie, and Council members share collective responsibility for the ESRC’s performance. Members are required to observe the highest standards of impartiality, integrity and objectivity in relation to the use of public funds and management of the organisation.
The ESRC Council meets four times a year. The meetings are also attended by a representative of the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills.
The ESRC Council consists of the Chair, Chief Executive and twelve other members. Membership is reviewed annually. Appointments are advertised nationally and members are ultimately appointed by the Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills.
Current ESRC Council members:
- Dr Alan Gillespie (Chair), Partner and Managing Director at Goldman Sachs and Co; Chairman of the Ulster Bank Group; Senior Independent Director of Old Mutual plc. (current term ends June 2017)
- Professor Paul Boyle (Chief Executive), Economic and Social Research Council
Professor John Beath, University of St Andrews (current term ends July 2014)
- Professor Dame Glynis Breakwell, University of Bath (current term ends July 2014)
- Professor Ann Buchanan, University of Oxford (current term ends July 2013)
- Mr Martin Coleman, Norton Rose LLP, Norton Rose LLP (current term ends July 2013)
- Professor Simon Collinson, University of Birmingham (current term ends March 2014)
- Professor Stuart Croft, Warwick University (current term ends July 2014)
- Mr Paul Grice, Scottish Parliament (current term ends July 2015)
- Professor David Martin, University of Southampton (current term ends July 2013)
Mr Dave Ramsden, HM Treasury (current term ends July 2013)
- Mr Martin Rosenbaum, BBC (current term ends July 2015)
- Dr Justin Davis Smith, Volunteering England (current term ends March 2014)
- Mr David Walker, David Walker Associates (current term ends July 2013)
- 7 June 2013
- 27 September 2013
- 10 December 2013
Notes from previous meetings
- 19 February 2013 (PDF, 44Kb)
- 26 October 2012 (PDF, 57Kb)
- 6 July 2012 (PDF, 82Kb)
- 20 April 2012 (PDF, 76Kb)
For more information on the ESRC Council please contact: