The role of the ESRC Council is to decide on all issues of major importance, principally issues of corporate strategy, key strategic objectives and targets. Responsibility for delivering key strategy is delegated to the Chief Executive, Professor Jane Elliott.
The Council Chair, Dr Alan Gillespie, and Council members share collective responsibility for the ESRC's performance. Members are required to observe the highest standards of impartiality, integrity and objectivity in relation to the use of public funds and management of the organisation.
The ESRC Council meets four times a year. The meetings are also attended by a representative of the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills.
The Council's Terms of Reference can be found in the ESRC Management Statement (PDF, 1.5Mb).
The ESRC Council consists of the Chair, Chief Executive and twelve other members. Membership is reviewed annually. Appointments are advertised nationally and members are ultimately appointed by the Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills.
Current ESRC Council members:
- Dr Alan Gillespie (Chair), Partner and Managing Director at Goldman Sachs and Co; Chairman of the Ulster Bank Group; Senior Independent Director of Old Mutual plc. (current term ends June 2017)
- Professor Jane Elliott, ESRC Chief Executive
- Professor Dame Glynis Breakwell, University of Bath (current term ends July 2017)
- Mr Martin Coleman, Norton Rose LLP (current term ends July 2016)
- Professor Simon Collinson, University of Birmingham (current term ends March 2018)
- Professor Tara Fenwick, University of Stirling (current term ends July 2016)
- Professor David Martin , University of Southampton (current term ends July 2016)
- Dr James Richardson, HM Treasury (current term ends July 2017)
- Mr Mark Robson, Bank of England (current term ends March 2019)
- Mr Martin Rosenbaum, BBC (current term ends July 2018)
- Professor Judith Squires, University of Bristol (current term ends August 2018)
- Professor L Alan Winters, University of Sussex (current term ends January 2019)
- Professor Linda Woodhead, Lancaster University (current term ends July 2016)
- Ms Karin Woodley, Cambridge House (current term ends January 2019)
- 10 July 2015
- 16 October 2015
Redacted minutes of previous meetings
- 13 February 2015 (PDF, 120Kb)
- 28 November 2014 (PDF, 228Kb)
- 5 September 2014 (PDF, 244Kb)
- 23 May 2014 (PDF, 108Kb)
- 7 February 2014 (PDF, 68Kb)
- 10 December 2013 (PDF, 66Kb)
- 27 September 2013 (PDF, 73Kb)
- 7 June 2013 (PDF, 79Kb)
For more information on the ESRC Council please contact: