The role of the ESRC Council is to decide on all issues of major importance, principally issues of corporate strategy, key strategic objectives and targets. Responsibility for delivering key strategy is delegated to the Chief Executive, Professor Jane Elliott.
The Council Chair, Dr Alan Gillespie, and Council members share collective responsibility for the ESRC's performance. Members are required to observe the highest standards of impartiality, integrity and objectivity in relation to the use of public funds and management of the organisation.
The ESRC Council meets four times a year. The meetings are also attended by a representative of the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills.
Redacted minutes of previous meetings
- Council minutes, 16 October 2015 (PDF, 102Kb)
- Council minutes, 10 July 2015 (PDF, 94Kb)
- Council minutes, 24 April 2015 (PDF, 74Kb)
- Council minutes, 13 February 2015 (PDF, 69Kb)
- Council minutes, 28 November 2014 (PDF, 227Kb)
- Council minutes, 5 September 2014 (PDF, 241Kb)
- Council minutes, 23 May 2014 (PDF, 74Kb)
- Council minutes, 7 February 2014 (PDF, 68Kb)
- Council minutes, 10 December 2013 (PDF, 66Kb)
- Council minutes, 27 September 2013 (PDF, 73Kb)
- Council minutes, 7 June 2013 (PDF, 79Kb)
The ESRC Council consists of the Chair, Chief Executive and 12 other members. Membership is reviewed annually. Appointments are advertised nationally and members are ultimately appointed by the Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills.