The aim of the UK Data Forum is to provide strategic direction to the ongoing development and maintenance of a coherent and robust national data infrastructure for UK social and economic research and research in related fields of interest.
UK Strategy for Data Resources for Social and Economic Research
The UK Data Forum have published a five-year plan to inform and guide the development and utilisation of data and related resources for social and economic research.
Terms of reference
The terms of reference of the UK Data Forum are:
- to develop a clear view of the key national and international data resources that are required to meet the future needs of social and economic research and research in related fields of interest
- to identify gaps in the current data infrastructure, and determine how those gaps might be closed
- to prioritise future data provision, including the balance between:
- enhancing access to and sharing of existing datasets
- maintaining ongoing support for major datasets of national importance
- new data collection
- withdrawal of support and archiving of existing datasets that have outlived their usefulness.
- to agree principles and strategies for the co-ordinated development and co-funding of prioritised future data resources, as appropriate
- to agree training and capacity building initiatives to promote the effective analysis of data resources
- to identify and seek to resolve the practical and ethical issues associated with linking between data sources.
The UK Data Forum recognises that various concordats between the ESRC and government departments are already in place or are being established and that efforts at data coordination are being made across government departments and the devolved bodies. These represent a strong foundation for future collaboration. The Forum builds on and strengthens such work to provide a cross-council, cross-government mechanism for the promotion of collaborative working.
Cross national research data: access, legality, ethics and opportunities - workshop
19 December 2016
- Workshop agenda (PDF, 132Kb)
- Workshop report (PDF, 204Kb)
- Research ethics and new forms of data for social and economic (executive summary) (PDF, 2.3Mb)
- David Hand, Chair of the Board of the Administrative Data Research Network (ADRN) (PowerPoint, 86Kb)
- Stefan Bender, Vice Chair of the German Data Forum (RatSWD) (PowerPoint, 2.1Mb)
- Francis Crawley, Good Clinical Practice Alliance (PowerPoint, 533Kb)
- Carthage Smith, Senior Policy Analyst OECD and Coordinator Global Science Forum (GSF) (PowerPoint, 1Mb)
- Peter Elias, Chair, GSF Expert Group on Research Ethics and New Forms of Data
- Julia Lane, Center for Urban Science and Progress, New York University (PowerPoint, 13.1Mb)
Papers and minutes from UKDF meetings held in the previous 12 months are provided below.
21st meeting: 16 November 2015
- Minutes (PDF, 112Kb)
- Agenda (PDF, 38Kb)
- UKDF/03/15 (PDF, 65Kb)
- UKDF/04/15 (PDF, 53Kb)
- UKDF/05/15 (PDF, 54Kb)
- UKDF/06/15 (PDF, 87Kb)
- Paul Longley update paper (PDF, 40Kb)