Student internship scheme
The ESRC Student Internship scheme has been incorporated into a new Research Councils UK (RCUK) Policy Internship scheme. This scheme is very similar to the ESRC scheme in that it provides current ESRC funded PhD students with the opportunity to spend up to three months in a non-academic organisation where they can work as part of a team involved with policy or practice development.
The internship scheme significantly contributes to the skills and professional development of PhD students. Benefits include the opportunity to network within the policy arena and develop a range of transferable skills and knowledge such as report writing and time management. Hosts also benefit from the additional resource provided by students and help in the production of briefing papers and contribution to the organisation's policy evidence base.
Students gain an extension to their ESRC award and are able to claim for travel and accommodation costs.
Participating host organisations for 2015-2016
Information regarding individual host organisations and the opportunities available can be found using the links below:
British Library (PDF, 281Kb)
- Cabinet Office
College of Policing (PDF, 80Kb)
Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) (PDF, 76Kb)
Government Office for Science (PDF, 101Kb)
- Home Office
- Counter Terrorism (PDF, 79Kb)
- Crime and Policing Analysis – Crime Patterns Team (PDF, 79Kb)
- Crime and Policing Analysis - Economic impacts of crime and policing policies (PDF, 81Kb)
- Crime and Policing Analysis - Crime and Policing Statistics (PDF, 80Kb)
- Crime and Policing Analysis (PDF, 81Kb)
- Crime and Policing Knowledge Hub (PDF, 75Kb)
- Cyber Crime (PDF, 71Kb)
- Immigration Enforcement (PDF, 81Kb)
- Migration and Border Analysis (PDF, 83Kb)
- Serious and Organised Crime (PDF, 75Kb)
- Office for National Statistics
Public Health England – Behavioural Insights Team (PDF, 77Kb)
Scrutiny Unit (PDF, 83Kb)
How to apply
ESRC funded students looking to undertake an RCUK policy internship are required to complete the application form below for the host organisation they wish to apply to.
Please note that the Scrutiny Unit requires and additional document to be completed with the application form.
Applicants should submit their completed application form to email@example.com by 16.00 on 28 August 2015.
Please refer to the guidance notes for applicants prior to completing the application form below.