ESRC Retail Knowledge Exchange Opportunities
The Retail Sector Initiative is an important step for building collaborative activities with the private sector, and is part of our commitment to encourage research that directly affects business. Retail is an exciting sector for social science engagement; the importance of the UK retail sector to society and the economy means that research on and with the sector plays into all three of ESRC’s strategic priorities.
Applicants can apply for:
- ESRC's Retail Knowledge Exchange Opportunities 2013
- a targeted call for Knowledge Transfer Partnerships in the retail sector (external website)
- a coordinator position to connect the successful applicants for the above opportunities, and engage with the wider activities into which social science research can make an impact with the retail sector.
Retail Knowledge Exchange Opportunities
Our Knowledge Exchange Opportunities scheme promotes the application of social science within non-academic communities. The flexibility built into the scheme is intended to encourage applicants to think creatively about knowledge exchange and we welcome applications for either a single activity or a combination of activities
We are seeking applications for retail Knowledge Exchange Opportunities which address issues across the retail sector. In particular we are interested in applications focusing on:
- the changing nature of the UK high street and changing retail spaces
- e-commerce, m-commerce and omni channel retailing
- consumer data.
Potential activities could include:
- new applied research, provided it is user-led or in collaboration with a user partner
- setting up a network to encourage knowledge exchange between leading academics and retailers
- an academic placement within a private sector retailer or organisation focusing on the retail sector
- developing tools such as podcasts and videos to communicate the results of research to retailers
- developing existing research to make it more applicable to the retail sector
- seminars to encourage knowledge exchange between academics and retailers.
Applications must be submitted by the research organisation of the lead academic via the Joint Electronic Submissions System (Je-S). Call now closed.
Project start dates: 1 October 2013 to 1 January 2014 inclusive.
Call documents, including guidance
- Retail Knowledge Exchange Opportunities call specification (PDF, 134Kb)
- Retail Knowledge Exchange Opportunities Je-S guidance notes (PDF, 162Kb)
- Supporting data template (Word, 42Kb) (must be included in all applications)
Reviewer guidance (PDF, 159Kb)
Users, including retailers, that have not established which academic partners would be most suitable to lead on potential applications to the ESRC Knowledge Exchange Opportunity scheme should contact:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 01793 413016