Guidance for large initiatives
Our large research investments include research centres, groups, large grants and networks.
Large research investments are managed within the Research, Partnerships and International Directorate (RPID) by investment managers.
Investment managers have responsibility for:
- encouraging the sharing and adoption of best practice, with a specific focus on generating research impact (both academic and economic/societal impact)
- ensuring that troika review meetings between the investment director, committee liaison member and themselves are held
- supporting the development of Key Performance Indicators and monitoring investments' on-going performance against them
- reviewing investments' Annual Reports in conjunction with the designated ESRC committee liaison member
- managing reviews of investments as required
- liaising with research investments to produce briefings and respond to enquiries and consultations
- liaising between co-funders and research investments as appropriate
- relaying key strategic messages from ESRC Council and the ESRC Research Committee to investment directors
For any queries, please contact your investment manager.
Our centres, groups, programmes/initiatives, large grants and networks must submit a final report to the ESRC Reports Officer (Email: email@example.com) three months after the end of the grant. Current final report templates for the different range of large investments are as follows:
- Centre/Group Director's Final Report Guidelines (Word, 16Kb)
- Network Co-ordinator's Final Report Guidelines (Word, 15Kb)
- Programme or Initiative Director's Final Report Guidelines (Word, 16Kb)
- Large Grants Final Report Guidelines (Word, 15Kb)
In addition to the above Principal Investigators, Directors and Co-ordinators have a responsibility to ensure that outcome and impact information is uploaded to the Researchfish system, further information is on the RCUK website.
For further information, please contact your investment manager. The correct form to use will be sent to you by the ESRC Reports Officer (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) before the end of your grant.
Evaluating large research investments
The ESRC no longer automatically evaluates all investments that it funds. We now assess grants on a more strategic basis as part of broader reviews of priority areas, schemes and thematic areas. If your grant is to be part of one of these reviews, you will be contacted in advance by the ESRC’s Evaluation, Strategy and Analysis team.
For grants selected to be evaluated, grant holders will be invited to nominate outputs to include in the evaluation. Grant holders will be contacted by the office when this applies, and should not submit nominated outputs unless advised to do so.