Guidance for large investments
Our large research investments include research centres, groups, large grants and networks.
Large research investments are managed within the Research, Partnerships and International directorate (RPI) by investment managers.
Investment managers have responsibility for:
- encouraging the sharing and adoption of best practice, with a specific focus on generating research impact (both academic and economic/societal impact)
- ensuring that troika review meetings between the investment director, committee liaison member and themselves are held
- supporting the development of Key Performance Indicators and monitoring investments' ongoing performance against them
- reviewing investments' annual reports in conjunction with the designated ESRC committee liaison member
- managing reviews of investments as required
- liaising with research investments to produce briefings and responding to enquiries and consultations
- liaising between co-funders and research investments as appropriate
- relaying key strategic messages from the ESRC Council and the ESRC Research Committee to investment directors.
If you have any queries, please contact your investment manager.
Our centres, groups, programmes/initiatives, large grants and networks must submit a final report to our Reports Officer (Email: email@example.com) three months after the end of a grant. The current final report templates for the different range of large investments are as follows:
- Centre/Group Director's Final Report Guidelines (Word, 16Kb)
- Network Co-ordinator's Final Report Guidelines (Word, 15Kb)
- Programme or Initiative Director's Final Report Guidelines (Word, 16Kb)
- Large Grants Final Report Guidelines (Word, 15Kb)
In addition, Principal Investigators, Directors and Co-ordinators have a responsibility to ensure that outcome and impact information is uploaded to the Researchfish system. You can find further information about research outcomes on the RCUK website.
Please contact your investment manager if you require further information. Our Reports Officer (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) will send you the form you need to complete before the end of your grant.
Evaluating large research investments
We no longer automatically evaluate all investments that we fund. We now assess grants on a more strategic basis as part of broader reviews of priority areas, schemes and thematic areas. If your grant is to be part of one of these reviews, you will be contacted in advance by our Evaluation, Strategy and Analysis team.
If your grant is selected for evaluation you will be invited to nominate outputs to include in the evaluation. We will contact grant holders when this applies, and you should not submit nominated outputs unless you are advised to do so.