Guidance for large initiatives
Our large research investments include research centres, groups, large grants and networks.
Large research investments are managed within the Research, Partnerships and International Directorate (RPID) by investment managers.
Investment managers have responsibility for:
- encouraging the sharing and adoption of best practice, with a specific focus on generating research impact (both academic and economic/societal impact)
- ensuring that troika review meetings between the investment director, committee liaison member and themselves are held
- supporting the development of Key Performance Indicators and monitoring investments' on-going performance against them
- reviewing investments' Annual Reports in conjunction with the designated ESRC committee liaison member
- managing reviews of investments as required
- liaising with research investments to produce briefings and respond to enquiries and consultations
- liaising between co-funders and research investments as appropriate
- relaying key strategic messages from ESRC Council and the ESRC Research Committee to investment directors
For any queries, please contact your investment manager.
Evaluating large research investments
Our Evaluation Committee oversees the evaluation of our large research investments. We usually appoint external consultants to review the achievements and impacts of these initiatives through tender competitions.
For all investments, consultants consider:
- the co-ordinator's/director's/large grant award holder's final report
- questionnaire results (from both grant holders and research users)
- interviews with key stakeholders (eg directors, principal investigators, chairs of advisory bodies, non-academic users)
As well as providing an evaluation of the accomplishments of the investment, consultants will also include a set of recommendations regarding, for example, future research priorities and funding mechanisms.
Our centres, groups, programmes/initiatives, large grants and networks must submit a final report to the ESRC Reports Officer (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) three months after the end of the grant. Current final report templates for the different range of large investments are as follows:
- Centre/Group Director's Final Report Guidelines (Word, 105Kb)
- Network Co-ordinator's Final Report Guidelines (Word, 121Kb)
- Programme or Initiative Director's Final Report Guidelines (Word, 49Kb)
- Large Grants Final Report Guidelines (Word, 90Kb)
For further information, please contact your investment manager. The correct form to use will be sent to you by the ESRC Reports Officer before the end of your grant.