This call is now closed. The following is for information only.
We are pleased to announce calls for two Centres for Doctoral Training in these specialist areas.
Biosocial research CDT
ESRC and the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) are pleased to announce a call for a Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in the area of biosocial research. Funding will be for three cohorts of students supporting at least 10 students per year, of which eight will be funded by the research councils.
The CDT will be developed in collaboration with non-academic partners and will support innovative interdisciplinary training at the interface between the social and biological sciences. It will be involved in exploiting the breadth of biosocial data; developing technological and methodological innovations; and exploring the legal and ethical issues exposed by the biosocial agenda both within the UK and internationally. The substantive area of enquiry can be determined by the applicant(s).
It is expected that students will be recruited with social or biological backgrounds, though each studentship must be at least 50 per cent within the social sciences.
New forms of data CDT
ESRC is pleased to announce a call for a Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in the area of new forms of data. Funding will be for three cohorts of students supporting at least 10 students per year, of which eight will be funded by ESRC.
The CDT will be developed in collaboration with non-academic partners and will focus on real-time data analysis, data linkage and interoperability of data from different sources. The substantive focus is on ‘new forms of data’ in a broad sense and on the opportunities provided by these data to study social processes as they unfold. The particular thematic approach and data sources to be drawn on can be determined by the applicant.
It is expected that students will be recruited from a range of scientific backgrounds, though each studentship must be at least 50 per cent within the social sciences.
- Call specification - Biosocial research CDT (PDF, 171Kb)
- Call specification - New forms of data CDT (PDF, 164Kb)
- Je-S guidance notes (PDF, 117Kb)(updated 1 February 2016)
- CDT supporting metrics form (Word, 18Kb)
- Postgraduate Training and Development Guidelines 2015
- Postgraduate Training Strategy 2017-2022
- Frequently asked questions (PDF, 126Kb)(updated 2 February 2016)
- Deadline for expressions of interest - 16.00 on 30 October 2015
- Deadline for submitting proposals - 16.00 on 4 February 2016
- Panel assessment, including CDT Director interviews - 5 or 6 July 2016
- Decisions to applicants - September 2016
- First cohort of students start - October 2017