The Mexican National Council for Science and Technology (CONACYT) and the UK's Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) invite joint applications for collaborative projects between Mexico and the UK which seek to enhance understanding of Smart Cities.
This collaboration is supported by the Newton Fund. All applications under this call must therefore be compliant with Official Development Assistance (ODA) guidance and demonstrate this compliance within the written proposal.
Proposals are sought for collaborative bilateral research projects involving researchers from the UK and Mexico, addressing one or more of the following topics:
- Urban infrastructure, ICT, mobility and quality of life
- Resilience and environmental sustainability
- The politics of the smart city
- Urban economies and digital social innovation
The ESRC has allocated up to £1.5 million available for projects of up to £450,000 (fEC) for the UK component, and CONACYT $20 million (MXN) for the Mexican component for projects of up to 30 months in duration.
How to apply
Proposals must be submitted to both funders.
For the UK, they must be made through the Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) system by 16.00 (UK time) on 3 May 2018.
On the Mexican side, applicants should apply via CONACYT by 18.00 (Mexican time) on 4 May 2018.
Applications will be assessed jointly by both funders.
- Call specification (PDF, 122Kb)
- Je-S guidance (PDF, 225Kb)
- International funding agency resources form (Word, 111Kb)
- Call for proposals announced – 22 February 2018
- Closing date for proposals – 3 May (UK) / 4 May (Mexico) 2018
- CONACYT and ESRC joint panel – (early) September 2018
- Decisions announced – (early) October 2018
- Grants commence – 1 November 2018