Author: Michelle von Ahn Date: 25 May 2011 Other publication/report
Our Research Catalogue contains grants and outputs data up to the end of April 2014. Records will no longer be updated after this date.
Population, language, ethnicity and socio-economic aspects of education
- Start date: 01 October 2008
- End date: 30 September 2009
In 2007 a 'model' language question was inserted into the Annual School Census (ASC), but completion was only voluntary. The following year, 2008 represents the first year in which data is available for all schools.
The main aim of the fellowship is to develop protocols and methods for matching the new ASC data on languages with other administrative datasets, specifically GP registers Local Land and Property Gazetters in order to :
- estimate the total populations speaking different languages within and across administrative boundaries
- examine the convergence or divergence of ethnic and linguistic groups and their socio-economic characteristics (thus giving a richer understanding of population diversity and its implications for service planning)
- investigate whether the addition of language as an indicator has the potential to significantly enhance our understanding of the relationship between socio-economic factors, ethnicity and education.
We will aim to provide some limited initial analysis of the data, through a series of maps showing the linguistic diversity of children in London (the UK's most linguistically diverse area) and a 'proof of concept study', with information and guidance for users on "how to do it for themselves".
- Outputs (3)
- Impacts & reports (2)
Author: Michelle von Ahn Date: 05 April 2011 Guide
Author: Dick Wiggins Date: 24 March 2010 Other publication/report