Britain In magazine
Britain in 2013 is the annual magazine of the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and showcases the research funded by the ESRC through the contributions of leading academics, directors of research investments, and expert journalists and writers.
In the 2013 issue:
- Professor Nicholas Stern makes the case for Britain increasing the speed of its response to climate change
- Professor Carol Propper examines hospital mergers, while Professor Simon Burgess looks at the effectiveness of Ofsted's inspection system
- Management and economics experts Amanda Goodall and Ganna Pogrebna ask: Can businesses learn from Formula 1 racing?
- Britain's retail sector comes under the focus of Neil Wrigley and Michelle Lowe, and economics expert Romesh Vaitilingam looks at whether lessons from the past can help Britain's economy grow
- Director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies Paul Johnson also considers the tough choices Britain faces and the fiscal adjustments needed to create a secure future for all
- With a referendum on Scottish independence confirmed for 2014, ESRC experts on politics and devolution offer their views on the possible outcomes for the people of England and Scotland
- Scientists assess how advances in science change the way we think about ourselves and create difficult ethical issues for clinicians, and, with Britain still basking in the glow of the 2012 Olympics, social science experts revisit the social mobility enigma and ask: if politicians from all parties agree that British society is unequal, why is it proving so hard to change?
- In a time of unprecedented change in the news industry, the former Editor of the Independent, Professor Ian Hargreaves, shows that despite the many threats there will always be a need for the craft of good journalism – trustworthy, accurate reporting
- Professor Paul Collier, one of the leading experts in the field of world development, explains why it is important that the UK continues to provide aid to developing countries, even in a time of austerity.
To contact the Editor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to obtain a copy of Britain In 2013
Britain in 2013 is available from 19 November at WH Smith High Street and Travel shops, Waitrose, Marks and Spencer, and Boots. You can also order a copy direct by emailing Azone at email@example.com.
Back copies of Britain in magazine are available as PDF downloads.