This section offers a step-by-step guide to putting together a strategy. Every strategy is different, but you can use these steps as a template to develop your own.
Your strategy takes you from where you are now to where you want to be. It doesn't have to be a lengthy document but it does have to be a living document.
The key points are to:
- Keep it simple
- Make it targeted – do the right things and don't try to do everything
- Involve the whole research team – gather ideas and build ownership
- Communicate it effectively within the team
- Communicate it to the ESRC if you are a large investment that has received ESRC funding
- Build in review mechanisms to measure effectiveness and plan ahead
- Update it regularly in the light of experience and opportunities
- Share successes and knowledge about what works and what doesn't
This step-by-step guide covers: