The Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) is a five-year £1.5 billion funding stream, announced as part of the Government’s 2015 spending review. It forms part of the UK's Official Development Assistance commitment, to support cutting-edge research which addresses the problems faced by developing countries.
The fund, to be administered through delivery partners including the Research Councils and national academies, will address global challenges through disciplinary and interdisciplinary research, will strengthen capability for research and innovation within both UK and developing countries, and will provide an agile response to emergencies and opportunities.
Social science is a core discipline to deliver this global agenda and ESRC will play an integral role in developing and delivering the GCRF, working alongside working alongside other research councils and partners.
From the initial allocation of the fund, over the ESRC Delivery Plan 2016-20 £35 million is allocated to GCRF.
Update August 2017
ESRC is pleased to pre-announce the commissioning of four new ESRC calls under the Global Challenges Research Fund.
Peer review group
ESRC is establishing a new peer review group formed specifically to assist with the review of applications to ESRC Global Challenges Research Fund calls. If you are interested in being part of this group, find out how to apply.
There are currently no open GCRF funding opportunities. Previous opportunities are listed below.
GCRF funding opportunities led by ESRC
- Postdoctoral fellowships - closed 9 September 2016
- Tackling antimicrobial resistance: behaviour within and beyond the healthcare setting - closed 8 September 2016
- Centres competition: Foundations of inclusive growth - closed 6 September 2016
- Strategic Networks - closed 2 August 2016
- Forced displacement - closed 20 July 2016
- Secondary Data Analysis Initiative highlight notice - closed 15 July 2016
GCRF funding opportunities led by other research councils
- Foundation Awards for Global agriculture and food systems (BBSRC website) - closed 28 September 2016 (BBSRC-led)
- Building resilience (NERC website) - closed 6 September 2016 (NERC-led)
- Foundation Awards in non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and infection (MRC website) - closed 22 June 2016 (MRC-led)
GCRF funding opportunities led by RCUK
- Growing research capability to meet the challenges faced by developing countries (RCUK website) - closed 25 October 2016
- The second GCRF collective fund call will be launched in late summer 2017 (RCUK website)